Welcome to the DragonBox Coding competition - a competition aimed at OpenSource handhelds Pandora, GCW Zero, GPH Caanoo or GPH WIZ - but other systems can profit from it as well.The competition will end on February 15th, 11:59pm, UST, so use the upcoming holidays to code, code and code
You can either upload your entry whereever you like and send us a link afterwards or use our own FTP Server.
We will give you details about the eMail and FTP Server end of January in this thread.
The entries should be included in a way that makes it as easily as possible for the user to play it (i.e., for the Pandora, create a PND, for the Caanoo, include the INI-Files, etc.)
We like to encourage OpenSource entries - but you can also participate if you don't want to release your sourcecode.
OpenSource entries will simply get a little bonus when they win
There are various categories each with its own prizes - you can enter as many entries you like in any of the categories.The categories are:* Application *
This can be any application you think might be useful.
A browser, Mediaplayer, PDA, Calculator, etc.
It can be port or something completely new.
It can also be a something like a port of a full OS distribution, ready to be installed on one or more of the above mentioned handhelds.* Emulator *
This can be an improved version of an already existing emulator, a totally new emulator or a port of an existing emulator that didn't exist on any of the above mentioned handhelds yet.* Original Game *
A game written by yourself (or a small team), either new or an improved version or port of a game you have written already.* Ported Game *
A port of an already existing game that is either vastly improved from a previous port or didn't exist yet on any of the above mentioned handhelds.Rules and guidelines:
1. It's totally fine if your entry has already been released for the system before December 1st, 2012, as long as your competition entry will be an improved version.
2. You can do public beta tests, if you like and get feedback to improve your entry until the deadline.
3. There's no need to include an annoying splash screen, but the competition logo has to be somewhere in the entry (corner of the title screen, credits screen, etc.) The competition logo will be made available later in this thread.
4. You have to include at least one compiled version that runs on one of the above mentioned handhelds. To make the game available to as many users as possible, it would be great if you could either release versions for as many systems as possible or release the sourcecode. In case you include your sourcecode and win a prize, you'll get a few bucks extra.
5. Judging will be done by selected members of the community and by the community itself (a poll here on the boards). The results of the selected jury and the community will be weighted 50/50 for the final result.Here are the prizes:
1. A 200 EUR voucher for http://www.dragonbox.de
(250 EUR if the source is released)
2. A 100 EUR voucher for http://www.dragonbox.de
(150 EUR if the source is released)
3. A 64GB SDHC Card for http://www.dragonbox.de
(+ 50 EUR voucher if the source is released)
Each category has these prizes (so that's 4x a 200 EUR voucher, 4x a 100 EUR voucher and 4x an SDHC Card).
Additionally, there will be community prize pots:
Community members can throw in money into the different categories as well.
The amount of money in these prize pots will be evenly shared.
Happy coding!The Community Prize Pots
If you want to donate some money into a prize pot, please use PayPal to do so.
Send your amount to: firstname.lastname@example.orgIMPORTANT: When sending the money, include the category/categories in the comments field!
For example, you could donate 10 EUR into the pot with the following comment: "7 EUR for Original Game, 3 EUR for Ported Game"